The Commission hereby issue a decision on the 2.5GHz Spectrum Assignment.
In February 2015, the Commission received a licence application from Andrews Communications Ltd for spectrum in the 2.5 GHz band, an unopened band. Following the application from Andrew’s Communications Ltd. the Commission decided to establish a policy for the allocation and assignment of spectrum in the 2.5GHz band that would promote the timely deployment of fixed and mobile wireless broadband services using Frequency Division Duplex/Time Division Duplex (FDD/TDD) technology for the benefit of all consumers of fixed and mobile wireless broadband services in the TCI.
With this objective, the Commission conducted a public consultation to formulate a policy for the allocation and the assignment of spectrum in this band. The public consultation document examined modalities of allocation and assignment of frequencies consistent with internationally accepted approaches for such allocation and assignments and raised specific questions relating among other things to channelization, caps optimization, reserves and future uses, assignment approaches and fees, Responses to the consultation were received from Digicel TCI Limited and from LIME.
The key objective of the Policy Decision is to promote the timely deployment of Long-Term Evolution (“”LTE””) mobile and fixed broadband technology for the benefit of consumers and businesses in TCI.
The Commission has determined that:
• The 2.5GHz band spectrum frequencies are allocated for mixed FDD and TDD technology.
• Spectrum frequencies in the 2.5GHz band will be assigned to applicants on a “first-come, first-served” basis.
• A cap of 40MHz bandwidth is established for assignments of spectrum to each applicant in the 2.5GHz band.
• The licence fees established for assignments of spectrum in the 2.5GHz band are set out as in the Policy.
• Licences for assignment of spectrum in the 2.5GHz shall contain the deployment and reporting requirements as per the policy.
See link below for further details.